1 Farrer Park Station Rd, #10-11 Connexion, Singapore 217562
Dr Chong Kian Tai is a certified Urologist who manages both basic General Urology and complex Urologic Oncology issues. He is a specialist urology surgeon that works with (1) traditional open surgical methods, (2) advanced keyhole laparoscopic and endoscopic techniques, and also (3) the modern Da Vinci robotic surgical operating systems.
In 2009, Dr Chong is the first Urologist trained in Southeast Asia to complete the full-time Clinical Urologic-Oncology Fellowship at the prestigious Memorial-Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (MSKCC) in New York, USA. His key professional expertise includes the prevention, diagnosis, treatment and management of prostate, kidney, bladder, testicular and penile cancers.
Among the latest treatments in General Urology and Urologic Cancer, Dr Chong focuses on:
1. Focal therapy of prostate cancer – using robotic HIFU (high intensity focused ultrasound) which has less side effects when compared to surgery.
2. Keyhole operation that does not need cutting of enlarged prostate, also known as BPH (benign prostate hyperplasia) – to reduce surgical side effects. Examples are UroLift and Prolieve systems.
3. MRI-ultrasound guided fusion prostate biopsy – to improve accuracy and detect precise targets of possible prostate cancer.
4. Retrograde intrarenal surgery (RIRS) – to remove small kidney stones without surgical skin scars.
5. Da Vinci robotic-assisted partial nephrectomy – to remove small kidney tumours and save the remaining unaffected kidney.
Prior to private practice, he was the Consultant, Adjunct Assistant Professor, Co-Director of Urologic Oncology and Director of Research in the Department of Urology at Tan Tock Seng Hospital. He also managed the prospective Urology Cancer clinical databases and tissue repository. In the Singapore Cancer Society, he was in the Advisory Panel committee to advocate for prostate cancer awareness and survivorship.
As a dynamic healthcare innovator, researcher and educator, Dr Chong started his research training in Urologic-Oncology Research on prostate cancer immunology at Seattle, Washington (USA), which was funded by Southwest Oncology Group (SWOG, USA) and Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR, Singapore). While in Singapore, he was a founding member of the Singapore Urological Cancer Consortium and led several research teams in prostate, kidney, bladder and testicular cancer research. These projects included precision medicine, biomolecular, nanoparticle, bioimaging and novel biomedical device studies.
In advocating holistic care for urological cancer patients in Tan Tock Seng Hospital, Dr Chong was previously the Chairman for the Urology Cancer Multidisciplinary Tumour Board, Chairman for Urology Cancer Support Programme, Chairman for Advanced Care Planning Team and Chairman for TTSH Prostate Cancer Support Group for patients and their family.